Sometimes the flavor of a town is best seen in its history. Browsing through old pictures gives us a tiny hint of where we have come from as a people and as a locale. Even in this little mountain mining town, education of the local children was always important. The first School in Idaho Springs was located on 17th Avenue. Miss Anna Marble was the first teacher, in 1861.
In 1884, nine lots were purchased at l3th and Colorado Blvd. for a new eight-room school. Through many years and many transitions, and two new high school buildings, the Clear Creek school district has gone from western mining town beginnings to the modern school system we have now.
Clear Creek High School Golddiggers have, throughout their history, excelled at many sports. This picture is the 1905 Women’s Basketball team – playing in skirts with their hair piled up on their heads! From such humble beginnings we have arrived at the excellent schools and sports teams we now have. Go Golddiggers!!